Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Blackbird Chick

Oh my goodness! Things are getting complicated!
We are four days from the chickens hatching, and this morning a different variety of  chick arrived, uninvited.
It is a blackbird chick (we think) and it is a nestling. That means, it hasn't made feathers yet.

We found it on the concrete path this morning. It had a brother (or sister) which unfortunately, got stood on by a teacher.

We are attempting to keep this chick alive. it is in a nest from our Papatuanuku table and under the chick brooder to keep warm. We are feeding it kitten jellymeat and hard boiled egg with a paintbrush.

I'm hungry!!!!!

WHAT A MOUTH!

The chick is under the chick brooder. it is a heated place designed to keep little chicks warm.



We mixed this jellymeat with egg.

We are using the Vimeo View to watch the chick. It was actually set up to watch the chickens hatch but it is being used for the baby blackbird first.

Here it is, asleep

This is the food.

The snakes heads are actually the lights and camera for the mimio view. It is connected to Ms Jones's computer and projected up onto the data screen. We can watch the action from anywhere in the classroom.

Here is some of our writing about the blackbird chick:

We found a baby bird. It was cold. I felt so sad for it but my mum bought cat food so she saved the day. The baby bird has a yellow beak. When it is hungry it waves it's beak.
Aleah


Me and my brother fell out of our nest and tumbled onto the concrete. My brother was squashed. It was a terrible sight!
Next minute I was in a strange place with humans all shouting. I was so happy when some friendly human fed me. When I turned around I saw some sleeping eggs. Maybe they are my younger siblings? Well, the don't look anything like me!
Aala


One day I was sleeping happily, then in the blink of an eye I was tumbling down a hill. My brother was with me when we hit the ground. I heard a squishing sound. My brother was squashed! A human picked me up and put me in a nest.
Ruby-Mei

No comments:

Post a Comment